My original post is old but this page is one of the top pages to discuss Mexican food and restaurants in London. So I’ll now keep this part of the page up to date with a summary of the many comments people have posted below, but you should also check out MexiLondon for more information.
Mexican restaurants etc. in London
(Last update 17 March 2008)
- Cafe Pacifico and La Perla
- Restaurants and bars in central London.
- “No better than one of those nasty beer and mex places” — Nick.
- “All my American friends here rely on their ‘Pacifico’ fix,gets them through the week!” — Peter
- “A poor attempt at good West Coast mex/Mexican food.” — Dave G.
- Chilango (formerly Mucho Mas)
- 27 Upper St, N1 and 142 Fleet Street, EC4A 2BP.
- Cool Chile Taqueria
- 139-143 Westbourne Grove, W11 2RS.
- “Overpriced, portions too small.” — Mike.
- “Disappointed. The food while well seasoned was cold and the meat reheated.” — Drew.
- Crazy Homies
- 125 Westbourne Park Road.
- “Not the world’s greatest burrito but it worked … The soft tacos were fantastic.” — Nick.
- “The closest thing i can get to the tex-mex quesadilla i keep looking for” — Sarah.
- Closed in 2008. At The Dogstar, 389 Coldharbour Lane, SW9 8LQ.
- “I can not recommend it enough” — Dani.
- “Absolutely the best Mexican restaurant in London” — Amanda Vinson.
- Daddy Donkey
- Has a truck on Leather Lane market.
- “Still the daddy!” — Nick.
- Freebird Burritos
- Exmouth Market, EC1R 4PX (Mon-Thur 11am-3pm).
- “Very good burrito, one of the best I have had in London.” — KD.
- Goodge Place, W1T 4SF (Mon-Fri 11am-3pm).
- Sunday Up Market, off Brick Lane (Sunday 11am-6pm).
- A green van selling burritos on Whitecross Street Market (Mon-Fri lunchtimes).
- Green & Red
- 51 Bethnal Green Road, E1 6LA.
- “The food is fantastic” — Nick.
- 26-30 Stoke Newington Church Street, N16 0LU.
- “The food here lacked much spark” — Amanda.
- “Not perfect, but we’ll be going back. Interesting menu.” — Mike.
- 103 Hampstead Road, NW1 3EL.
- “The food selection is really good.” - Kelli.
- “Very good” — Holger.
- “A bit pricey for the quality of the food.” — Paola.
- “Great if you want really authentic mexican cuisine, but not really if you just want a burrito.” — Nick.
- “It’s meant to be authentic but it’s anything but.” — Carlos.
- “The food was disappointing” — Roberto Cervantes.
- 323 Fulham Road, SW10 9QL and 147-149 Notting Hill Gate, W11 3LF.
Was Beach Burrito Cafe on Berwick St, currently closed. Reviews for that branch:
- “Whilst the burrito was good, it wasn’t amazing - but it’s certainly the best I’ve had to date in London” — Nick.
- “The burritos there are by some distance the best I have enjoyed in the UK and certainly comparable with the best I have had in the US” — Rich.
- Does takeaway and home delivery in south west London.
- “Food is excellent.” — Holger.
- “Their burritos are just as good as the ones I could get back in Cali!” — JC.
- 13 Islington High Street, N1 9LQ.
- 66 Chandos Place, WC2N 4HG.
Opened August 2007.
Mexican food ingredients
- Cool Chile Co.
- Mail order ingredients (not just chillies) and has a stall at Borough Market.
- Reportedly now closed. Mail order ingredients and has a shop at 164 Victoria Street, Victoria Village Shopping Centre, SW1E 5LB.
- Lupe Pintos
- Mail order tinned food, condiments, spices, etc.
- Does lots of mail order Mexican ingredients.
- Peppers by Post
- Sells fresh chillies and tomatillos by mail order.