Links from October 2017
- Links for Thursday 5 October 2017
- Merely an Empire - London Review of Books
- Good on Ken Burns' 'The Vietnam War'. "We cannot make a movie that will save us."
- Links for Friday 13 October 2017
- My essential django package list -- /var/
- A handy list including a few handy things I hadn't heard of. Plus useful descriptions of them all. (via Simon Willison)
- Links for Monday 16 October 2017
- @20 (Ftrain.com)
- Paul Ford on his website being 20-ish. Lovely, every word. "The things I want to do are strange, simple, and unprofitable." Hello. (via @jah)
- Links for Wednesday 18 October 2017
- George Duoblys - One, Two, Three, Eyes on Me! - LRB 5 October 2017
- On the "efficient" teaching and disciplinary methods used in some London secondary schools. Sounds grim.
- Links for Monday 23 October 2017
- A WordPress & Git workflow - Marc Jenkins
- Seems to make sense, and WP Migrate DB Pro is the bee's knees.
- Links for Wednesday 25 October 2017
- Fuck You And Die: An Oral History of Something Awful - Motherboard
- I'm not sure I was ever really aware of these forums at the time but I do like a good early-days-of-web oral history.
- Statistical NLP on OpenStreetMap: Part 2 - Al Barrentine - Medium
- On getting computers to recognise the parts of all formats of street addresses from around the world. Amazing, even/especially the bits I don't understand.
- How Civilization Started | The New Yorker
- John Lanchester on re-evaluating the ease of life for hunter gatherers vs settled societies. (via @cityofsound)
- The War To Sell You A Mattress Is An Internet Nightmare | Fast Company
- The interaction between the internet and "the real world" (i.e. selling objects) has become odder than I would have imagined.
- Links for Sunday 29 October 2017
- Adobe unveils all-new cloud-based Lightroom CC, rebrands old application 'Lightroom Classic'
- This doesn't make me feel good. Wondering if I should jump from Lightroom now (to what?) before becoming stuck in something harder to get out of. (via The Online Photographer)