Links from September 2017
- Links for Thursday 7 September 2017
- GSElevator on Wall Street watches - Business Insider
- I love things like this where outside of that little world you'd have no idea about the distinctions.
- Links for Sunday 10 September 2017
- The Premium Mediocre Life of Maya Millennial
- Once you've read about premium mediocre you realise it's a thing you see everywhere but hasn't yet defined. (via a few places)
- Abandoned States: Places In Idyllic 1960s Postcards Have Transformed Into Scenes Of Abandonment : DCist
- I'm a sucker for lined-up "now and then" photos and these of holiday spots in the Catskills are nice. (via The Online Photographer)
- Smell of Data
- File under "physical manifestations of internet activity". (via Prosthetic Knowledge)
- Links for Monday 11 September 2017
- Datamake:article | d3 and canvas
- A clear step-by-step example of using the Canvas with D3.js to draw thousands of objects.
- Links for Thursday 14 September 2017
- 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' Oral History: Larry David on Crazy Auditions, Art of Cringe | Hollywood Reporter
- I enjoyed this and would like to read more. Can't be bothered to listen to a podcast for more though. (via Daring Fireball)
- "Bring pencils" and 49 other things hurricane pros know | Poynter
- Tips for reporting from a hurricane. Good internal "documentation" from the Miami Herald.
- Ceci n'est pas un blog - Autopsy of a slow train wreck
- Describing how the author shut their company and why they should have done it sooner. Good to read about mistakes.
- Louis Rossetto - Pi.co
- Interview. For the bits about starting Wired. And Om Malil: "Discovering Wired was like finding my Rolling Stone. With Wired, I found my cultural context more than anything else." Yup.
- Nachrichten | DW
- Free daily world news podcast in slowly-read German. Great for learning.
- frank lantz - don't die
- Long interview that's interesting on trying (and failing) to make videogames "serious", the purpose and worth of learning about making games at university, having a shared basic knowledge of games history/culture/ideas. Needs editing.
- Links for Wednesday 20 September 2017
- From Clapping to Likes, and Back Again - A Brief History of Attention - Medium
- This should be good - a short series by Matt Locke on how attention has been measured.
- Links for Monday 25 September 2017
- Understanding Uber: It's Not About The App - London Reconnections
- Very good on TfL and Uber. If only newspaper reporting was anything like this good.
- The long, incredibly tortuous, and fascinating process of creating a Chinese font - Quartz
- Really good.
- Links for Tuesday 26 September 2017
- Lotechnica - Postgres Full-Text Search With Django
- Looks like a good guide. (via @simonw)
- Links for Thursday 28 September 2017
- Pipenv: Python Dev Workflow for Humans - pipenv 8.1.4 documentation
- I really don't want to learn yet another way to manage python virtual environment but this does sound like it might finally be The One. (via @simonw)