Links from August 2017
- Links for Sunday 6 August 2017
- How to face the ecocide (Down the Dark Mountain) - High Country News
- Gloomy, with no useful answer.
- So, about this Googler's manifesto. - Yonatan Zunger - Medium
- Aside from the sense about that Googler's document, this is good on what being a high-level engineer means. Confirms for me that, really, I'm a hobbyist.
- Owen Hatherley reviews 'Eyes on the Street' by Robert Kanigel and 'Vital Little Plans' edited by Samuel Zipp and Nathan Storring - LRB 27 July 2017
- Good on Jane Jacobs' good and bad, and all that in relation to British cities. (Subscribers only)
- Links for Wednesday 9 August 2017
- Surging Seas: Risk Zone Map
- I don't think I'd seen these sea-level rise maps by Stamen before. Nice. Scary, but nice.
- Links for Friday 11 August 2017
- HyperCard On The Archive (Celebrating 30 Years of HyperCard) | Internet Archive Blogs
- Like magic. If only I'd Stuffit'd my HyperCard stacks... the only two I have may have lost their resource forks over the past 25 years.
- Links for Sunday 13 August 2017
- OpenBenches - by @edent & @summerbeth
- I'm so glad this exists because (a) it's a lovely thing and (b) I just had the same idea and now I don't have to make it.
- Links for Thursday 17 August 2017
- London Review of Books - You Are the Product
- John Lanchester on Facebook.
- Links for Monday 21 August 2017
- Django Service Objects
- I like keeping stuff like this out of views and models, and this seems like a nice way to do it. (via @simonwillison)
- Creative Alibis | Daniel Brook
- Being critical of Richard Florida's Creative Class stuff. Impossible to tell when this was published. (via Buckslip)
- CASH Music - The Secret Lives of Playlists
- On how record labels make and influence Spotify playlists. In case you want to feel a little bit used. (via Buckslip)
- A Year in the Metabolist Future of 1972 - Failed Architecture
- Mostly good because it's so nice to read architecture writing based on having spent a year living in the building. More of this kind of thing.
- Links for Friday 25 August 2017
- kbaum/heroku-database-backups: Heroku database backups and copies to S3
- I tried three versions of "back up your Heroku postgres database to S3" and this is the one that works.
- Links for Saturday 26 August 2017
- Paul Regan - Artist
- I love my friend Paul's paintings of mundane urban/suburban scenes at night.
- Links for Monday 28 August 2017
- 8 Lessons from 20 Years of Hype Cycles | Michael Mullany | LinkedIn
- Reviewing past Gartner Hype Cycles. They could do with an alternative line that forks from the trough of disillusionment down into the abyss of failure. (via @tomtaylor)