Links from June 2017
- Links for Saturday 3 June 2017
- Instagram created a monster - A no bullshit guide to what's really going on! - Behind The Quest
- Another piece demonstrating the horror that is The Other Instagram (and The Other social media generally probably), the one that isn't just people showing friends what they're doing.
- The Exquisitely English (and Amazingly Lucrative) World of London Clerks - Bloomberg
- A good insight into a world I knew nothing about. Now I know who those people are pushing carts of boxes of papers, who I see on the way to work. (via @iamdanw)
- Links for Sunday 4 June 2017
- Bildnerische Formlehre - Bildnerische Gestaltungslehre - Paul Klee - Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern
- 3900 pages of Paul Klee's notebooks on sculptural form and design theory, scanned and transcribed.
- Links for Friday 9 June 2017
- Compound interest applied to learning
- Yes, this makes sense. Plus I often think that people who get, or take, an opportunity early on that gives them time to explore their field end up exponentially further ahead than peers.
- Links for Saturday 10 June 2017
- Cody Cobb
- Lovely landscape photography. (via The Online Photographer)
- Links for Monday 12 June 2017
- Algorithm-Driven Design - How AI is Changing Design by Yury Vetrov
- Really good list of examples of what it says. (Aside from annoying hijacking of cursor keys, but anyway.) And a nice mention of Guardian Headliner too. (via Noisy Decent Graphics)
- Links for Tuesday 13 June 2017
- Medieval Fantasy City Generator by watabou
- "This application generates a random medieval city layout of a requested size." (via FlowingData)
- The Deleted City 3.0
- Zoomable map of the GeoCities filesystem. (via FlowingData)
- Links for Thursday 15 June 2017
- prosthetic knowledge
- This tumblr of design/art/tech right now is very, very good. (via @iamdanw I think)
- BEM 101 | CSS-Tricks
- Pragmatic summary of the Block, Element, Modifier CSS style that wasn't around last time I went down this rabbit hole.
- Blackhorse Lane Ateliers | Selvedge & Raw Denim Jeans | Made In London
- Jeans (and more) made in London, plus workshops to make your own. (via Die Workwear)
- Links for Saturday 17 June 2017
- Flexbox Froggy - A game for learning CSS flexbox
- Very nicely done. Although, even having completed it, I'm still pretty much guessing at how to do anything.
- Links for Sunday 18 June 2017
- Binky: The App That Does Nothing - The Atlantic
- Brilliant. Social networking app with no content and no social network. (via Waxy)
- traintimes.org.uk performance notes
- A good write-up of making the fast, simple site even faster.
- Monty Don: Dirty dressing | Life and style | The Guardian
- On gardening clothes, from 2005. (via Die Workwear)
- Gerhard Steidl Is Making Books an Art Form - The New Yorker
- Profile of the German book-maker, a description that undersells this article. (via Russell Davies)
- Links for Thursday 22 June 2017
- How we make a game called Hidden Folks - Album on Imgur
- Really nice description of how parts of this game are put together, from graphics to translations. (via Kottke)
- Links for Sunday 25 June 2017
- Who's killing the (self-driving) electric car? - Startup Grind - Medium
- Good on predictions about self-driving and/or electric cars, and why the two improvements may not happen together. (via @cityofsound)
- A breach of trust | MinnesotaPlaylist.com
- On the mistakes of a small theatre company. "There's a big difference between pushing boundaries artistically ... and pushing boundaries ethically." (via @alexforey)
- Links for Monday 26 June 2017
- Walton's Telephone Exchange | Walton Tales
- Nice reminisces of an Essex telephone exchange in the 1960s.
- Links for Wednesday 28 June 2017
- "Under 1KB each! Super Tiny Social Icons are miniscule SVG versions of your favourite logos." The completist in me would like to see these for every major corporate logo. (via @simonw)