Links from January 2016
- Links for Sunday 3 January 2016
- The year of the Good Night Lamp
- Alex on what she's learned so far from getting her product made, marketed and shipped.
- Links for Monday 4 January 2016
- On Edward Hopper by Mark Strand | The New York Review of Books
- I particularly like the first half, on Hopper's preparatory drawings. "It was not that he needed to be sure how to paint a sugar dispenser or salt shaker as in Nighthawks (1942), but that they should become his."
- Platform Accounting – Directors’ remuneration planning – optimal 2015/16 salary & dividends combination
- Quite nicely explained.
- Links for Friday 8 January 2016
- Search Films - London Cinema
- A nice site for finding what films are on near a location. (via @jobby)
- Links for Sunday 10 January 2016
- zalew / django-flickr — Bitbucket
- "Provides a mechanism to mirror user's Flickr photos into a Django project."
- How the Web Works: A Primer for Newcomers to Web Development (or anyone, really) | Preethi Kasireddy
- Looks like a good intro to the kinds of things many of us have as a mental model and take for granted. (via Jeremy Keith)
- Links for Wednesday 13 January 2016
- Ghostweather R&D Blog: Teaching a Semester of D3.js
- Links for Saturday 16 January 2016
- Home - London's Silent Cinemas
- "It documents the early lives of over 700 cinemas across London and its suburbs" from 1906 to around 1930. The map's really good.
- Simple, lightweight alternative to Modernizr. (via Adactio)
- Links for Tuesday 19 January 2016
- Software Engineering for Industry by softengindustry
- Mostly for the nice way of handling an online reading group - a Twitter account, a Slack channel, and a GitHub repository for documents, suggested reading, etc. (via @tomstuart)
- Links for Sunday 24 January 2016
- They don’t tax free time (Monevator)
- A good post and loads of comments - lots of people talking about working less to avoid going into the higher tax bracket.
- Links for Tuesday 26 January 2016
- I'm finding this (free, online) book very useful; exactly the kind of thing I struggle with how to do better.
- threadbase - T-shirts Unravelled
- Great analysis of hundreds of US T-shirts to see how they vary in size. (via Stellar)
- h5bp/server-configs-nginx: Nginx HTTP server boilerplate configs
- Looks like some handy examples.
- Links for Thursday 28 January 2016
- ‘We’re not leaving this bar until we’ve come up with such a great idea that I can’t sack you”
- Transcript of Tony Ageh at The Story Conference 2014. Really good, on advertising, The [Guardian] Guide, iPlayer.
- WordPress plugin and Drupal module for saving copies of pages that your site links to, in case they disappear. (via @mathowie)
- Links for Friday 29 January 2016
- Discover Weekly Archive by hansjuergenbardenhagen - IFTTT
- "Every Monday, this Recipe will automatically add the 30 tracks on your Discover Weekly playlist to a personal Discover Weekly Archive playlist." (via @tomtaylor)
- David A. Broad's daily journal - From 1983 to today.
- Someone posting their own personal diary online, day-by-day, thirty years on.
- Securing a Server with Ansible · Ryan Eschinger Consulting
- Saving some useful examples.
- Development Environments with Vagrant and Ansible · Daniel Groves
- Saving some useful examples. Includes Django too.
- Links for Sunday 31 January 2016
- A Visit to the Treasure Vaults
- Some good stuff about how Kodak was often too early with digital camera technology, not too late, and was no good at marketing it.
- Slow German - Lerne alles über Deutschland!
- A podcast about Germany, in German, but spoken slowly and clearly to help with learning.