Links from March 2014
- Links for Sunday 2 March 2014
- Neapolitan tweed jacket – Elia Caliendo
- Mmmm, yes, maybe that's the thing. Only *cough* €2800. So maybe not.
- Links for Monday 3 March 2014
- the californian ideology - the hypermedia research centre - University of Westminster
- I re-read that. It all seems true still except, perhaps, the optimistic hope that Europe could be different.
- Being a client
- A brief bit about the new Code for America website. So worth it for all the Clearleft and pattern library related links. All of them front-end-development gold, leading to even more.
- "Lean & mean status/tabline for vim." I think this is nice. I don't know any more. Tom seemed to think it was good and I haven't added anything to my vim setup for ages. (via @infovore)
- Links for Tuesday 4 March 2014
- Citybound - The Beginning
- Absolute Positioning and Horizontal/Vertical Centering
- Using CSS alone, no JS. I'm waiting for the inevitable real-world use in which this won't work. There must be one. Surely. There usually is. (via @jamesweiner)
- After all that… TextDrive is finally disappearing on March 14th. I now have a lot to do in the next ten days.
- Links for Sunday 16 March 2014
- Newsvis | The Directory of News Visualizations
- What it says. (via The Functional Art)
- Folded Up Shirt P0rn - Page 211
- I was just thinking yesterday that casual shirts (ie, worn with no tie) don't need top buttons, and then I came across these (bottom of page). Very nice.
- (633) Stan Hayward's answer to Aging: What does it feel like to be old? - Quora
- This is a really lovely read. A life.
- Links for Monday 17 March 2014
- Managers are awesome / managers are cool when they're part of your team
- Although I'm up for new kinds of management/company structure, the GitHub/Valve thing of having an extremely flat organisation does make me wary. Not least for the kinds of people who only blossom when given support and shelter by those whose position it is to do that.
- Links for Wednesday 19 March 2014
- Free Beautiful Online Survey & Form Builder | Typeform
- Looks like a maybe nicer alternative to Survey Monkey.
- Links for Friday 21 March 2014
- Crafting link underlines on Medium
- Not necessarily for how they decided to make nice underlines on text, but for the description of how complicated a very simple-seeming website can be. (via @jamesweiner)
- Links for Monday 24 March 2014
- Sounds very good. Adding to the list of books I really should read.
- Nice web charting/visualization thing, using a markup-based system for data, with appearance editable using CSS. Somewhere between Raphael/d3 and simple charting libraries. Costs money for commercial use. (via Tom Taylor)
- Links for Tuesday 25 March 2014
- Layout in Flipboard for Web and Windows
- Fascinating look at how Flipboard automatically match content to one of thousands of possible page layouts (some created by designers, some more algorithmic). (via @revdancatt)
- Links for Sunday 30 March 2014
- Web Hosting For App Developers – Marco.org
- Some good rules of thumb and encouragement to use simple, standard VPSes rather than anything fancier.
- Links for Monday 31 March 2014
- What's happened to TextDrive? | Bill's tech blog
- "What a mess." Indeed.