Links from May 2013
- Links for Wednesday 1 May 2013
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
- Old maps overlaid on their modern Google Maps. I want to add something like this, using a 17th-ish century map of London, to the Pepys site. Somehow. (via Kottke)
- Links for Thursday 2 May 2013
- DWP - Services and benefits online - What do I need?
- Staggeringly shit. The service was designed to work with Internet Explorer versions 5 through 6 on (old) Windows only. One assumes the GOV.UK accessibility shock troops will roll into town eventually.
- Links for Friday 3 May 2013
- Spoogeworld lost musical documentation
- Includes a scan of a page from 'Keyboard' magazine in 1987 which shows you Brian Eno's favourite patches for the Yamaha DX7 for you to tap in.
- My First Bookmarks
- The web bookmarks I used in 1995. They were originally written out on sheets of A4 paper, then at some point I made them into a web page. I don't think browsers had bookmarking as a feature at first.
- The best burritos and tacos in London – 55 burritos, 83 tacos, 59 eateries, one verdict | The Picky Glutton
- Ten years ago I wrote a post wondering why there was so little Mexican food in London. Now look. (via Antimega)
- Links for Saturday 4 May 2013
- Whitecross Street Estate - 2010 - Publica (PDF)
- A report on the Peabody estate that spans Whitecross Street, from 2010. An interesting read. It sounded like a quite reasonable amount of work would make a big different to a lot of the public/residents' spaces which are neither car park or useful/enjoyable space. But I'm not sure how much has actually changed since.
- An Independent Appraisal of Henderson Global Investor's Ltd's Proposals for Redevelopment of the Western Market Buildings, Smithfield (PDF)
- Lots of photos etc, describing the proposals. Mainly: Keep the most of the shallow, street-facing brick buildings (or just the facades?), and replace the large 19th century market space inside with a seven-storey office block. This assessment seems unsurprisingly critical.
- Links for Thursday 9 May 2013
- The Online Photographer: (OT) How Do You Build A Starship-Building Organization?
- About last September's first conference by the 100 Year Starship foundation, starting to work out what kind of organisation would be required to launch a starship 100 years from now.
- GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world!
- And this is good fun, while you're waiting for your collection of candies to grow. I got 7457 on my first and, so far, only round. (via @antimega)
- Candy box !
- Really, stupidly, dumbly addictive. Be patient. And don't forget to Save frequently. (via @nickludlam)
- Sim City: An Interview with Stone Librande - Venue
- "We realized... our game was going to be really boring if it was proportional in terms of parking lots." A real shame. An opportunity to make people notice just how much a car-reliant society needs for parking. Feels like whitewashing. (via @timoarnall)
- Links for Friday 10 May 2013
- The Sublime Cluelessness of Throwing Lavish Great Gatsby Parties - Zachary M. Seward - The Atlantic
- For the line: "It's like throwing a Lolita-themed children's birthday party."
- Every Every Every Generation Has Been the Me Me Me Generation - Elspeth Reeve - The Atlantic Wire
- Scroll down for the examples of 100+ years of oldsters moaning about kids being spoiled narcissists. (via @timoarnall)
- Updated hi-res version of the heavily used tiny dancing woman animated gif from the 1990s.
- Links for Sunday 12 May 2013
- CSS Architecture | Appfolio Engineering
- Lots of good thoughts on structuring CSS. (via Tom Taylor)
- Links for Monday 13 May 2013
- Six degrees of IMDb founder Col Needham | Film | The Guardian
- On the success of the IMDb’s “creator”. Doesn't even mention that the site's value to Amazon in 1998 was all the data contributed by volunteers. Imagine if Wikipedia was solely the work of Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger. Grrrrrr. Still angry.
- Links for Tuesday 14 May 2013
- Dependency manager for PHP. I'm out of touch with PHP and hadn't heard of this.
- Links for Wednesday 15 May 2013
- The Online Photographer: (OT) All You Need for Great Sound
- Suggestion for great-sounding iPhone/iPad amp and small speakers. More suggestions in the comments.
- Recurring Developments
- Showing which episodes of Arrested Development each of its recurring jokes appears in. I've been researching recently; even better than I remembered. (via Waxy)
- Links for Thursday 16 May 2013
- The top 20 data visualisation tools | Feature | .net magazine
- A nice summary of everything from Excel to Gephi. (via Dotcode)
- UWE Graduation Ceremony 1993 - YouTube
- Blimey, nearly twenty years ago. Everyone is so smooth and wide-eyed. (12:30 if you're wondering.)