Links from March 2013
- Links for Friday 1 March 2013
- How We Built "Music Looks Awesome" & How You Can Join In - This Is My Jam
- Brilliant stuff - automatically making big, interesting, background images from a smaller album/video image.
- Digital Pianos - Which Brand Should I Buy
- Every few years I have a browse, and there's so little comprehensive information around online. This site is a bit of a sprawling mess but has tons of stuff on it. It sounds nicely honest for a shop. [UPDATE: The owner also owns the Classenti brand, the brand of pianos he favours here... not so honest after all.]
- Links for Sunday 3 March 2013
- "Andreas Gursky allegedly makes ten pieces a year. Ansel Adams said twelve good photographs in a year was good production."
- Links for Monday 4 March 2013
- Life Inside the Aaron Swartz Investigation - Quinn Norton - The Atlantic
- Quinn's account of the Federal prosecution. Tough.
- Links for Tuesday 5 March 2013
- YOU THINK YOU ARE A CONSUMER BUT MAYBE YOU HAVE BEEN CONSUMED
- I hope this new series of Adam Curtis posts on fake objectivity and neutrality analyse his own style. Really, that would be fascinating.
- Using The New Sim City, 6 Urban Planners Battle For Bragging Rights | Co.Exist: World changing ideas and innovation
- "We brought together some of the most interesting urban thinkers to play the new version of the city planning game to see who would make the best fake metropolis." I still can't wait. (via @antimega)
- Links for Wednesday 6 March 2013
- Flat UI Free - PSD&HTML User Interface Kit - Designmodo
- Looks interesting for quickly making things look nice. (via @paulpod)
- Ocean Quigley's Projects:
- Blog from the Creative and Art director on the new SimCity. Some lovely details.
- Links for Friday 8 March 2013
- Dandelion Radio | Mixcloud
- Ooh, Dandelion are putting their previous month's shows on Mixcloud. Brill. Rocker's my favourite, but lots of good stuff generally.
- AZPianoNews: REVIEW - Classenti CDP1, CDP2, CDP3, GR1 Digital Pianos From China - Not Recommended - Digital Piano Reviews
- Says that the Classenti and Broadway digital piano brands, promoted by the afore-linked UK Pianos, are owned by and exclusive to the man behind UK Pianos, and that they're not that good, although the writer hasn't played them… Intriguing.
- The Amen break: Just a sample | The Economist
- Finally got round to reading/listening to all of this, 15 months after everyone else linked to it. I love this stuff, because I'm so oblivious to the details of samples normally.
- Test-Driven Django Tutorial
- Quite verbose tutorial, in a good way. Assumes very little Django knowledge, which is great/tedious depending on your own level.
- Links for Sunday 10 March 2013
- Owen Hatherley reviews ‘Museum without Walls’ by Jonathan Meades · LRB 7 March 2013
- Exactly what it says. Praise and criticism.
- Links for Tuesday 12 March 2013
- Huhne and Pryce went to jail despite their privilege, not because of it
- Yes, all this. All the "oh, they don't deserve it, jail will be so hard for them," talk makes me so angry given the ludicrous sentences given for some other things that we must apparently be "robust" and "firm" in dealing with. (via @matlock)
- Links for Friday 15 March 2013
- Alan Paine | Alan Paine
- I like some of these jumpers and things. (via Lineage of Influence)
- Links for Saturday 16 March 2013
- TLDRLegal - Open Source Licenses Explained in Plain English
- Very useful. I can never remember this stuff, the rare times I need it. (via @metabrew)
- Links for Sunday 17 March 2013
- ViziCities development diary #1: One month in | Rawkes
- This is great. Not just an interesting project -- making a SimCity-like 3D view of a city's data, on the web -- but a lovely high-level (no actual code) description of learning how to solve and improve something. (via @neb)
- Are there any good films on iPlayer?
- Jolly good. Do one thing well. (via Tom Taylor)
- Links for Monday 18 March 2013
- Can Hospital Chains Improve the Medical Industry? : The New Yorker
- About new ways large US hospital chains are trying to optimise things, but actually most interesting when talking about how The Cheesecake Factory does its logistics and training. (From August 2012 via ?)
- Links for Wednesday 20 March 2013
- Timeline JS - Beautifully crafted timelines that are easy, and intuitive to use.
- Rather nice multimedia timelines. Open source. Twitter Bootstrap aesthetic. (via Mildly Diverting)
- Links for Thursday 21 March 2013
- EDC Gear
- Oh, way too many cool little things for your pockets, none of which I need at all.
- webgamingcentral - YouTube (SimCity)
- I keep meaning to watch some of these SimCity playthrough videos, as I find it fascinating… but if I was wondering how I'd justify the time required to play the game, I'm not sure I can justify watching other people play it.
- Find The Thing You're Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
- "I can’t stress this enough: Do what you love…in between work commitments, and family commitments, and commitments that tend to pop up and take immediate precedence over doing the thing you love." (via @secretbean)
- Links for Monday 25 March 2013
- Civilian Expander Pack
- Quite a nice, slim backpack. (via Carryology)
- How to upgrade tracks to iTunes Match, fast | Macworld
- Handy description of how to work out which of your iTunes Matched tracks can be downloaded at higher quality from the moon. I mean cloud.
- Links for Tuesday 26 March 2013
- Exquisite Tweets from @tomstuart, @beng, @iamdanw, @hondanhon, @mildlydiverting, @philgyford, @rachelcoldicutt, @richardayers, @tobybarnes, @lazyatom, @antimega, @blech, @juliancheal
- Conversation from last night about washing machine UIs etc.