Links from March 2010
- Links for Wednesday 3 March 2010
- iClarified - Mac OS X - How to Setup Facebook Chat Within iChat
- I didn't know you could do this. A bit odd having my "Facebook friends" (rather than my usual, "online" friends) there all the time. Plus they think I'm using Facebook *all day*.
- Burn a playable DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder - Mac OS X Hints
- Just works. I tried a couple of free GUI things, neither of which worked. This command line thing did.
- Information is beautiful: The BBC-O-Gram | News | guardian.co.uk
- Useful to get an overview of where the BBC's money gets spent. Cutting 6Music and Asian Network doesn't save much compared to the total.
- SXSW 2010 for Futurists
- Some interesting things there, some of which might ease the pangs from the end of ETech. (via Tom Taylor)
- Links for Saturday 6 March 2010
- Colour Contrast Check - snook.ca
- Handy and nicely-done tool for checking the contrast of colour combinations when designing websites.
- Simple tool that I think lets you see what your Twitter friends are going to at SXSW. There is way too much to go and see.
- Jumblr - Unjumble your life.
- Nice map-based Freecycle-alike. Fun to browse. (via Crackunit)
- Links for Wednesday 24 March 2010
- Geni - Home
- Quite a nice site for building your family tree. Lots of features, although the tree itself is pretty ugly. Would be nice if you could embed it in another page too. (via Haddock)
- The day the music died - Vox
- Simon Wistow on the end of the UK dot.com bubble ten years ago.
- MoMA | @ at MoMA
- A bit weird, but some nice history of the @ sign. (via Kottke)
- 590Ev.png 1409×521 pixels
- That's quite good. Off of 4chan.
- Links for Friday 26 March 2010
- Placehold.it - Quick and simple image placeholders
- One of those things you didn't know you needed until you saw it. Very handy. (via Infovore)
- Why records DO all sound the same | Word Magazine
- Fascinating account of the process of making an album/track and all the technological stuff that happens to the music these days. (via Tom Taylor)
- Experimental Rockets at the Naza - Windows Live
- There was secret rocket testing going on at Walton on the Naze during World War II.
- jCarousel - Riding carousels with jQuery
- There are lots of things like this, but I've used this one and it seems very nice.
- Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right - NYTimes.com
- interesting article on the "Tea Party" Right in America. Also scary. Hadn't realised how much they had in common with crazy paranoid Patriots.
- Final edition: Twilight of the American newspaper--By Richard Rodriguez (Harper's Magazine)
- Lovely article that is more a reminiscence of a lost San Francisco and childhood than it is another "we must save newspapers" plea.
- Links for Sunday 28 March 2010
- The Revision Thing | The Texas Tribune
- A fascinating view of what the Texas State Board of Education (which effectively determines what children across the US study) changed in the US History standards.
- Very simple way to get a file of all your Twitter tweets, friends, etc.
- PhoneView for iPhone - iPhone Disk Mode, SMS, Voicemail, Call History, Music, Photos, Notes Access - Ecamm Network
- Among other things, lets you export all of your iPhone SMSes. $20 saved me spending more time messing around with binary plist files, sqlite, etc.
- I Love Ben Brown, 6985 Words about SXSW 2000
- Ben found that I'd found his ten-year-old post and re-posted it and now I've found that.
- Parliament.uk | Bills before Parliament
- I haven't noticed this before - a surprisingly simple and clear indication of the bills. Click one to see its progress in more detail. Not perfect, but much better than I expected.