Links from November 2009
- Links for Sunday 1 November 2009
- Looks useful. (via Haddock)
- My DebugBar | CompanionJS / HomePage
- More tools with which to beat IE into submission. (via Haddock)
- Download details: Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar
- For IE6 or IE7. (via Haddock)
- In which Phil uses his loaf for once « West End Whingers
- (A different Phil.) The National Theatre made out of bread.
- Links for Monday 2 November 2009
- Misfits - E4.com
- Click 'Play' to see what I've been making with Six To Start for the past few weeks.
- Links for Tuesday 3 November 2009
- Cartographer.js – thematic mapping for Google Maps
- K-punk: London litened
- A nice description from 2008 of a London where everyone is reading those bloody free newspapers. (via City of Sound)
- Facebook Developers | Platform Live Status
- Current status of the Facebook platform.
- Illicit filesharing - p2p - government evidence to the culture committee | Tom Watson MP
- Good questioning from Tom Watson. I'm continually gob-smacked by the craven corporate backwardness of the government. I wish there was a Labour party.
- Links for Friday 6 November 2009
- Papercraft Self Portrait - Art Portfolio for Eric Testroete
- This looks wonderful.
- Why do we have an IMG element? [dive into mark]
- The history of the image element in HTML. A great bit of documenting internet history. (via Waxy)
- BLDGBLOG: One Million Years of Isolation: An Interview with Abraham Van Luik
- On planning nuclear waste disposal, designed to be stable and safe for one million years. Longest-term futures work ever?
- Flogr - Project Hosting on Google Code
- Looks like a nice way to make a portfolio site from your photos stored on Flickr. Example: http://thecarruthfamily.com/michael/photos/ (via Infovore)
- Links for Monday 9 November 2009
- Vintage Posters -- SSPL Prints
- Hundreds of old rail posters etc reprinted for the purchasing of. Very tempting.
- Doonesbury@Slate - Daily Dose - 8 November 2009
- "Dad, you make it sound like social media is ruining my life! It's NOT!"
- The Online Photographer: Panasonic GF1 vs. Olympus E-P1, Part I
- Solely for this quote: "These two [bundled] applications just can't possibly be as lame and useless as they appear to be ... They can't be—right? Because if faced with a choice of working day in, day out in one of these environments or picking up trash by the side of the freeway with a pointy stick guarded by a fat man with a shotgun and a big wad of tobacco in his cheek, I would need time to decide. They both seem like they'd be torture, but least in a chain gang I'd be outdoors."
- Links for Thursday 12 November 2009
- BBC News | World | Audio slideshow: Night witches
- About Russia's World War II female fighter pilots, what I was in a play about three years ago.
- Penalty! Unnecessary Blandness! Redesigning the Worst NFL Helmet Graphics | Yes to Less | Fast Company
- I've noticed that most of the more recent helmet designs (eg, Patriots, Buccaneers, Panthers, Jaguars, Ravens) are a bit rubbish. (via Daring Fireball)
- Links for Monday 16 November 2009
- Facebook | SAVE THE FOUNDRY CAMPAIGN !!! The Foundry - re-house/re-locate
- You can have all the fancy urban theories you like, but I'm increasingly thinking that if you don't own lots of expensive property, you can't control anything.
- What Mother never told you about SVN Branching and Merging « Design By Gravity
- This kind of stuff scares me, but this is a technique that's supposed to work.
- I was never hugely into techno, but I'm enjoying this mp3 blog. Great for working to. (via Haddock)
- Word Spy - parahawking
- "A sport where paragliders follow birds of prey that have been trained to look for and follow thermal updrafts that enable the pilots to stay aloft."
- Links for Wednesday 18 November 2009
- Cool Tools: Printed Space
- You too can have your own Hilda Ogden style mural. Apparently that's "cool" now.
- Links for Friday 20 November 2009
- Giving What We Can
- A pledge to give 10% of one's income to what they reckon are the most cost-effective charities. (via Preoccupations)
- The Space Elevator Games
- $4,000,000(?) up for grabs at the current games. The beginnings of a possible bit of future right here.
- Ie6-upgrade-warning - Project Hosting on Google Code
- Easy-to-slot-in warning to users of Internet Explorer 6 to upgrade. Please.
- IT Jobs Watch, Tracking the IT Contractor Job Market
- Tracks rates offered for different categories of IT jobs in the UK (permanent as well as contract).
- Links for Tuesday 24 November 2009
- Thematic, A WordPress Theme Framework
- Looks very interesting as a basis from which to build. (via Haddock)
- "Creates statistics about BBC Programmes by reading and analysing the captions." Like the start of a way to search the "text" of programmes.
- Showing where advertisers steal their ideas from. Which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't still claim to be innovative. (via Haddock)
- Augmented Reality Does Time Travel Tourism | Singularity Hub
- I remember 20ish years ago walking round my home town wanting something like this (only portable, and working everywhere).