Links from August 2009
- Links for Saturday 1 August 2009
- Maker's Schedule, Manager's Schedule
- Seems so obvious now it's been put into words. If I have a meeting in a morning or afternoon I know that half of the day will be a right-off for all other useful work. (via Daring Fireball)
- jQuery slideViewer 1.1
- Søren Vind >> pc_user
- "A lightweight authentication library for CodeIgniter. It focuses on simplicity and security." I used this recently and, like the CodeIgniter PHP framework, it just worked.
- Links for Monday 3 August 2009
- Letter posters
- Embroidery doesn't usually do much for me, but combine with typography and CMYK screens and it's all geek friendly! (via Haddock)
- SWFUpload jQuery Plugin : Adam Royle
- A nice jQuery way to implement the SWFUpload thingummy. (via Yoz)
- Paul Morley's showing off ... Classical | Music | guardian.co.uk
- Somehow I was unaware of the BBC programme and now it's off iPlayer. Grrr. Sounds awesome and I've only read 'Critic to Composer' so far. (via Blackbeltjones)
- Links for Wednesday 5 August 2009
- Op-Ed Columnist - Swan Songs? - NYTimes.com
- On the changing state of the recorded music industry, mostly for the fascinating 'Music Sales' graphic on the left. (via Daring Fireball)
- Run Internet Explorer 6 (or IE7, or IE8) images in VMware Fusion on Mac OS X - Ryan Parman
- I've avoided IE 8 so far, but guess I'll need to give it a whirl soon. Harrumph. (via Tom Taylor)
- New ways to save the newspaper - azeem.azhar
- Interesting thoughts from Azeem about what things it's worth the Observer (or a similar newspaper) doing.
- Netflix - Reference Guide on our Freedom & Responsibility Culture
- Interesting readable presentation about Netflix's culture. Although I haven't worked in a company for years, I'm fascinated by this kind of thing. (via Kottke)
- Links for Friday 7 August 2009
- Senator Charles Grassley on the costs of health care (C-SPAN video)
- In case you missed the clips on The Daily Show, here's the full video of Grassley's bizarre cartoon-powered Arthurian mixed metaphors. It's stunning that this nonsense happens in government.
- Free Movies: Watch movies online legally
- A bunch of full "indie" movies to watch online. Looks like there might be some good stuff.
- Read it and weep: Evan Williams of Twitter on Newsnight - the transcript | Technology | guardian.co.uk
- What's more depressing: The bored inanity of the Newsnight interview? That an event this unimportant is reported by the Guardian? Or the Guardian's relentlessly anti-Twitter commenters? Tough call.
- Preoccupations: Berlin
- I keep meaning to go to Berlin, and David's collected some great tips and links and background.
- Links for Tuesday 11 August 2009
- Muse: Ununited Eurasia
- Something I made recently with Six to Start, which went very well. It was a busy week.
- County of london plan 1945 - a set on Flickr
- "excerpts from a small booklet explaining the ideas behind the official County of London Plan." Lovely.
- Fujinon Binoculars
- View Source. Scroll down. The HTML is something else. (via Haddock)
- Cars parked illegally in bike lanes in London - MyBikeLane.com
- It's vehicles stopping in the advance cycle boxes that annoy me most, because it's so easy not to do.
- Links for Wednesday 12 August 2009
- YouTube - NHS - Marr's Modern Britain
- Andrew Marr on the introduction of the wonderful NHS.
- The Google Maps Image Cutter (UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis)
- "An application designed to take any image or digital photo and cut it into tiles which are displayed on a Google Map."
- Links for Friday 14 August 2009
- Deathwatch - Archiveteam
- "a central indicator of websites and networks that are shutting down, or to serve as an indicator of what happened to particular sites that shut down quickly." (via Haddock)
- Hilobrow | Middlebrow is not the solution
- (Re)Naming the generations from 1844 onwards. I'm fascinated by these kinds of divisions and identifications. (via Kottke)
- Art Fag City » IMG MGMT: The Nine Eyes of Google Street View
- First, interesting essay on Google Street View as photography/art. Second, really wonderful photos found around the world on it. (via Blech)
- Links for Tuesday 18 August 2009
- Simonw's mytweets at master - GitHub
- "Script for saving a JSON archive of your tweets." I'm already archiving mine another way, but a handy thing nonetheless.
- Government Beyond Obama? - The New York Review of Books
- A review of 'The Case for Big Government' from March 2009, good at putting levels of US federal government spending in a historical perspective.
- Ajax with Codeigniter | Setting Up Jquery | Tools for Ajax | Web Lee
- I usually like reading docs rather than screencasts, but, while these weren't *quite* what I was after, they're quite good. And it's nice to have an English accent on these things.
- Facebook Connect CodeIgniter Library « Elliot Haughin
- That photo does not endear me to the chap but this is still quite handy if you're after that kind of thing.